Listed here are the available step-by-step or explanatory articles on GIS Lounge for accomplishing various tasks in GIS.
ArcGIS Pro Tutorials
- How to Use ArcGIS Pro to Map Urban Heat Islands
This ArcGIS Pro tutorial shows how to map a region’s urban heat.
- How to Use ArcGIS Pro to Estimate Areas Prone to Malaria
This tutorial uses ArcGIS Pro to estimate malaria-prone areas utilizing Spatial Data Science and Remote Sensing techniques (ArcGIS Pro).
- How to Use ArcGIS Pro to Calculate Land Surface Temperatures
To calculate land surface temperatures using Landsat imagery, this ArcGIS Pro tutorial uses spatial data science and remote sensing techniques.
- How to Use ArcGIS Pro to Assess Landslide Susceptibility
This lesson demonstrates how to use ArcGIS Pro to analyze landslide risk.
- How to Add Leader Lines to Labels in QGIS 3.10
When you’re trying to label a small space or have too many labels to fit into the area you need to label, adding leader lines (or call-outs) to your labels can help.
- How to Change the Projection of a Shapefile Using QGIS
QGIS can easily export data into another coordinate or projection system if you know the beginning coordinate system or projection of your shapefile.
- How to Change the Map Projection to be Centered Over the Pacific Ocean
This simple tutorial will show you how to recenter your map project in QGIS such that the Pacific Ocean is in the middle of the map view.
- How to Save a Selection as a New File Using QGIS
This video tutorial will show you how to save a selection from a GIS dataset to a new GIS file using QGIS.
ArcMap GIS Tutorials
- Calculating Polygon Area in ArcMap
With a few simple steps, you can simply calculate geometry in ArcMap. You can figure out the area and perimeter of your polygons by calculating geometry in ArcGIS.
- How To Make Area Cartogram Maps in ArcGIS
In this tutorial, I look at the Cartogram Geoprocessing Tool version 2 from Esri’s Arcscript site, which may be used to produce cartograms from GIS data.
- How to Convert a KML File into an ArcGIS Compatible Format
Because ArcGIS cannot read KML files directly, you must first convert the KML file to a personal geodatabase (.gdb) using the KML2Layer tool included with ArcGIS.
Spreadsheet Mapping Tutorials
- How to Make a Tile Grid Map Using Google Sheets
This tutorial provides instructions on how to create a tile grid map using Google Sheets.
- How to Make a Tile Grid Map Using Excel
Step-by-step tutorial for creating a tile grid map of the United States using Excel.
Mapping Fun Tutorials
- How to Use GIS to Make a Lego Map
There are a few different ways to make a Lego-style map depending on the GIS software you wish to use.
General GIS Tutorials
- How to Cite GIS Material
- How to Install ArcView 3.x on Windows 7
- How to Calculate the Boundaries of an UTM Zone
More GIS Tutorial Resources
Free Ways to Learn QGIS
There are some good free materials available if you wish to learn how to use QGIS.
Esri Free Web Courses
Esri offers some free web courses. Learn about the basics of GIS and get experience with learning some of Esri’s desktop and web-based applications.
Accessing Spatial Data Tutorial
Tutorial for learning about spatial data, its usefulness, accessibility and the national infrastructure (NSDI) which supports it.
Geographic Information Systems
Created by the USGS, this website features information about what a GIS is and the history of GIS.