New 2013 TIGER/Line Shapefiles are set for release on Thursday, August 22, 2013. The new release will include a new GIS file format: TIGER Geodatabases. The US Census switched to offering its geographic data in shapefile format in 2008 and now in 2013, will also provide GIS data in geodatabases. Some limited geographic data is available in KML format.
Included in the 2013 GIS data release is a coastline feature:
The coastline was delineated by the Census Bureau in the MAF/TIGER* database based on water measurement class for display of statistical information only; its depiction and designation for statistical purposes does not constitute a determination of jurisdictional authority or rights of ownership or entitlement and it is not a legal land description.
*Acronym for Master Address File/Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing.
The TIGER Geodatabases will include:
- National Edges file (14.5 GB)
- National Roads file (3.6 GB)
- National Blocks file
- National Linear Hydrography file
- National Aeral Hydrography file
- National Sub-State Geography file (includes state, county, incorporated place, census designated place, consolidated city, county subdivision, census tract, and block group geography)
- National Nation-Level Geography file
- National Legislative Areas file
- National School Districts file
- National American Indian Area Related file
- National Rails file
- National Address Ranges file
- State-based files (one per state)
More information about TIGER GIS data (including where to download the data from) can be accessed from the US Census Tiger Product page.