If you want to require users to login with a password before being able to use ArcView here’s a simple way.
Difficulty Level: Easy Time Required: 1 minute
- Go to your \esri\av_gis30\arcview\etc directory.
- Locate a file called startup (no file extension shown).
- Make a copy of this file and rename it startup.old (it’s always wise to make copies of essential files before altering them).
- Open up the startup file and copy and paste the code from steps 5 and 6 at the top of the file:
- authenticated=FALSE attempts=0 while (NOT authenticated) thePassword=MsgBox.Password if (thePassword=”password”) then authenticated=TRUE else
- MsgBox.Warning(“Invalid Password!”,””) attempts=attempts+1 if (attempts=3) then authenticated=TRUE av.Quit end end end
- Change “password” to the password of your choice.
- Save the file.
- Test the login by starting up ArcView.
- Test the authenticating by entering the login false 3 times – notice that it won’t let you into ArcView if you don’t enter the proper password.
- You’re done!