The GIS Certification Institute (GISCI) now requires that applicants pass an exam as part of the over Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP) certification process. The exam is made up of 192 questions out of which 100 are actually scored (the remaining questions are test questions designed to collect information about possible inclusion in future exams).
To pass the exam, the applicant must answer at least 75 of the questions correctly.
The exam focuses on testing Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSAs) six areas:
- Conceptual Foundations (12%)
- Cartography & Visualization (14%)
- GIS Design Aspects & Data Modeling (29%)
- GIS Analytical Methods (17%)
- Data Manipulation (15%)
- Geospatial Data (13%)
Now potential test takers can get a sense of what the questions on the exam are like. A practice exam has been release which contains 50 questions broken down in the six knowledge categories.
- Practice Exam 1 – Geospatial Core Technical Knowledge Exam [PDF]
- GISP Practice Exam (fee based)
- GISP Exam Preparation