With over 11,000 cat locations mapped to date, the Cat Map is a crowd sourced survey of domestic felines. What is this mapping effort and why was it created?
What is the Cat Map?
This online map was developed by the Zoological Community of London. The main aim of this organization is to promote and make the people of London aware about the New Tiger Territory of London Zoo. The New Tiger Territory is scheduled to open on March 22, 2013 and features a 27,000 sq ft enclosure for its Sumatran tigers.
Currently, there are only 300 Sumatran tigers that remain in the wild. The new enclosure is five times the size of the previous one and was designed in part to help breed new Sumatran tigers to help reverse the decline of these cats in the wild.
One of the first set of cats added to the Cat Survey Map was Jae Jae and Melati, the two new Sumatran tigers added to the London Zoo.
The Cat Map was created by Filip Hnizdo, who explained, “Our two new tigers are big cat news, but we think little cats are important too. Tigers are the world’s favourite animal, and an iconic species in every culture – we want to see just how important their smaller counterparts are to London’s residents. Cat Map is the one stop shop to find out how just how cat-mad Londoners are.”
The Cat Survey Map will serves as a tool used in gathering important details about the cats in London as well as worldwide. According to the London Zoo, “Cat Map mimics techniques used by field conservationists when recording the numbers and locations of individual animals in the wild and will give an overview of all of the cats living in London.”
With The Cat Survey Map, it would be easier for them to find out the total number of domestic cats living within the city, the diseases that typically affect the cats and the exact rate of these illnesses and other information pertaining to this kind of animal. The steps in using this map are easy, so joining can be done completely with ease.
How to Join The Cat Map Survey
If you want to include your tabby cat or other house cat in this map, you will be asked to provide certain details pertaining to your pet. To do it, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of ZSL London Zoo where tiger territory is featured.
- Fill in the necessary details. Enter the exact age of your cat, the gender of the animal, the color of his or her coat and the name you have provided to your cat.
- You also need to include the exact location of your residence so that the icon that will serve as the face of your cat on the map will be posted there.
- You are also obliged to enter your email address that will serve as the contact detail for your cat. Email address is important because the London Zoo will send updates to you about the news related to the zoo, special offerings as well as other details concerning their conversation work. If you are not interested in any of these, you may just uncheck the box provided in the online application form.
- You also need to make a short description about your cat. It can be something about the behavior of your cat. You may tell something about the favorite food of your cat, if your pet is fat, small, cute, kind or a fierce one.
- After filling up everything that the online application asks you to provide, you will need to click the button that says “save cat” and then your cat will be registered in The Cat Survey Map.