GIS Tutorial Raffle
UPDATE: The GIS Tutorial Raffle is now closed. Thanks for all the submissions. The winner is Naveen Sidda who submitted a Google Fusion tutorial.
I am looking to build a solid library of GIS tutorials. Of highest interest are tutorials covering how to topics in ArcGIS, QGIS, MapBox’s TileMill, and mapping using Google Maps and Google Fusion Tables. To encourage submissions, I will be raffling off one $100 Amazon gift certificate by September 1, 2012.
The GIS tutorial submission requirements and raffle rules:
- Submit an original GIS tutorial (covering the above preferred areas) not currently available on GIS Lounge (if unsure, please send your proposed GIS tutorial topic to email@example.com for approval) of at least 500 words (not including programming code if applicable). Each GIS tutorial should present clear step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish a specific geospatial task. The steps must be written in a way that allows other users the ability to easily replicate the process.
- Screenshots must accompany each step described in the tutorial. Screenshots must be submitted in either PNG or JPG format. Please indicate within your tutorial where each screenshot occurs.
- IMPORTANT: Please note the version of GIS or web mapping software you are using.
- Email your step-by-step GIS tutorial either as a Word or PDF file or embed the verbiage within the body of the email. Attached separately your accompanying images. Email all material to firstname.lastname@example.org. A confirmation email will be sent for all approved tutorials.
- IMPORTANT: Include the following in the body of your email:
I certify that I am the author or sole owner of the material I am submitting to GISLounge.com and I am providing permission to GISLounge.com to reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, and modify, and otherwise use the material that I am submitting.
- Each separate GIS tutorial submission accepted will be valid for one raffle entry.
- If, after three months, 20 valid GIS tutorials haven’t been received, a raffle will be held among the accepted tutorial submission received to date.
- A running tally of accepted GIS tutorials and the cutoff date will be listed below. The cutoff date will start upon receipt of the first submitted GIS tutorial.
- The winner of the GIS raffle will be notified via email. The $100 Amazon gift certificate will be sent via email as well.
All work must be your own and you must have the rights to provide permission to GIS Lounge to republish your work (see item 4 above). All submitted work will be verified for originality using Copyscape.
Previous GIS Lounge Site News
New Host, New Logo, New Ad Spaces
February 15, 2012: Things have been a bit quiet externally on GIS Lounge but pretty busy behind the scenes. GIS Lounge is now at a new web host and the kinks are still being ironed out.
Also, there is a brand new logo, created by the team at ENTCHEV. I hope you like it!
GIS Lounge Forum Closed
August 28, 2011: After a year of hosting a forum on GIS Lounge, I have made the decision to close it down. While the forum has received a decent amount of initial posts, relatively few of the posts receive replies. Couple that with a spam to legitimate post ratio of over 100:1, it is clearly not the thriving peer supported forum that I had hoped it would develop into.
There are many platforms to connect with other GIS users for peer support. Visit the Networking in GIS: Peer-to-Peer Support in the GIS Community article for a list of those options. Looking for a forum? The Discussion and Mailing Lists page has a list of resources.
Like this article?
Sign up for GIS Lounge's weekly newsletter for more great content: